Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Craft: Ribbon Headband



Today, I was feeling a little crafty. I made this cool, no-sew ribbon headband for Emily. It was so much fun I just had to make another, and I took some pictures to show you how to do it!



One thing I love about this craft is that all the supplies are easy to find. I got all of mine at Walmart. (My Walmart does have a sewing section; if yours does not, you can find these things at Michael's or online.)

You will need:
  • An iron & ironing board
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Ribbon of your choice (If it is too wide, it will not sit properly on the doll's head. If it is narrower than the elastic, then this craft will not work.)
  • Narrow elastic
  • Iron-on hem
  • Scrap of fabric (will not be visible so the pattern does not matter)
  • Clear nail polish (optional)

First, measure and cut 9 inches of ribbon and 3 inches of elastic. Cut off 4 sections of the iron-on hem. (The iron-on hem rectangles should be narrower than your ribbon, but slightly wider than your elastic.) Cut your scrap into two parts-- the fabric should be wider than your elastic but narrower than your ribbon. On your ironing board, stack the ribbon, a piece of hem, the elastic, and another piece of hem. Add the fabric scrap on top and iron. Your brand of hem iron-on will probably have instructions on how long to rub the iron over it; mine was 7-10 seconds. Do the same thing with the other side. Be careful not to twist your ribbon! Let it dry for a few seconds and give it a gentle tug to make sure it is in place. If not, iron some more. Finally, flip so your fabric scraps are on the inside, and ta-da, you have it!


Emily is wearing a purple one I made her to match her Christmas dress. The purple ribbon was a little narrower, so it was harder to use since it was the same width as my elastic. I made the navy one that is shown in the instructions to match an outfit I am sewing. (Pics soon, I promise!)

What do you think of Emily's headband? If you make one, be sure to send me an e-mail(americangirlcorner@gmail.com), I love seeing what you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Make sure all comments are kind and respectful to all people.

Can't wait to see what you have to say!